Beautiful Beautiful by Francesca Battistelli

3:19 PM

Overcome

The human heart is said to be full of wickedness...every kind of vile desire we could imagine is nested from birth in our darkened hearts. When the Lord Jesus comes to live in us, the darkness gives way to light! Death gives way to life! But I often feel much like Paul...The things I want to do, I don't do. Those things I do not want to do, those I do. This from the same spiritual leader that gives us hope in verse like "count it all joy to suffer", "I have learned to be content", and so many other key encouraging passages in the New Testament.

I marvel at how difficult the Christian life can be. How the inner spiritual battle can wear us down and beat us against the rocks as waves of the culture and sinful desires seek to overcome us. How we can be overcome by the negativity of the world around us! I am astonished at how joyless our lives as Christians can become when we, of all people, should be the most joyFUL.

But there is a verse I have taken to heart as of late - Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good. Couple that with the verse that says, take heart for I have overcome the world, and you have an encouraging command that promises the Lord's power within us.

So as I sit here marveling at the spiritual struggles I am enduring, I take these two Truths to heart:

1) Evil has already been defeated.
2) I can (and am commanded to) overcome evil because of the victory already won for me.

So if you are struggling with something - an addiction, a hardness in your heart, pride, weariness, depression, loss, anxiety, fear, whatever it is....take heart...Jesus has overcome all the world, and if you have Him, obeying the command to overcome the evil, be it in your heart or in the world, is not such an overwhelming or insurmountable task.

Come to the foot of the cross and remember that victory has been had already!!

0 comments: