Beautiful Beautiful by Francesca Battistelli

12:37 PM

A Marathon? Really?

I must be crazy! It's pretty surreal to think I'm really doing this...I'm training for a marathon!


Wow! So this week is only week 1...it's about being on my feet and walking a lot. I've gotten out of the habit of longs walks with my dogs, thus out of the habit of walking. So we're starting there with 30 minutes 3 times a week. Next week, I'll integrate interval jogging and swimming as well...it's an upward progression that gets me to running and then running longer and faster.


The event is the Big D Texas Marathon next April. It gives me 10 months to train, but even so, we're talking going from little exercise to running 26.2 miles in less than 6 hours (There is a cap to the marathon time). It's recommended a first time marathon runner train well for 4-6 months. Being where I am, I need the added 4 months to make sure I actually finish!


I've not really undertaken a lot of big goals in my life, but as I've incorporated discipline little by little, this is the first time I'm really thinking "this is not impossible". That's huge for me! I said I would get married...I'm married. I said I would be an Awana leader - I did it. I said I would do an at home bootcamp - I did. I'm still working at losing my excess weight, but slowly it is coming off. I said I would graduate from college - I just completed the Spring Term and even aced one of my finals with a score of 100. So I'm doing it. I'm making goals and keeping them. I'm failing some and getting back up, dusting myself off and pressing forward! And THAT is all anyone can do.


So here is my next goal - run a marathon. Lord help me, it is a daunting task, much like losing my excess weight and getting completely out of debt. But little by little, week by week - I'll get there and cross the finish line! The journey of a 1000 miles begins with the first step, right? :D

0 comments: