Beautiful Beautiful by Francesca Battistelli

7:36 PM

Mother's Day Reflection

It isn't every day us moms stop long enough to take a deep breath, much less, sit down to a computer and write out our deep thoughts about what it is that God somehow deemed us fit to parent His creations. But today, that's what I'm doing...well, at least it's my attempt.

I'm in absolute awe that God would look down into all the world and pick me of all people to mother my son, Jonathan. How in the world did He decide I would be the right one for the job of cultivating such a tender and sensitive heart? What made Him think I would know how to deal with his stubbornness and willfulness? Can I possibly direct that for the glory of God? Could He have ever thought I was capable of training up such a treasured child as Jonathan? These questions and others have often buzzed in my head with no certain and accepted answers in sight. Then I realize I'm coming at it from the wrong angle - how typical. It wasn't about me at all. Sure God chose me to be a mom, but it was out of grace - His unmerited favor and undeserved pardon. It was NOT because of some inate capabilities, skills or qualities. It was because of His Sovereign Grace!

Realizing that is rather humbling - far more humbling than the line of questioning that preceded the realization.

God has a masterful plan - one so detailed, intricate, delicate, and vast, it is incomprehensible! Yet, I am woven into the fabric of this masterpiece as a mom. Chosen to bear, responsible to train, and accountable to the overwhelming task of mothering Jonathan. Oh how impossible a task were it not for the same Grace that called me in the first place!

Mother's Day is but one day on some commercial calendar for the economic benefit of Hallmark and like companies, but every day is a day to remember what an honor and privilege and heavy responsibility motherhood really is! God's grace to each and every mom out there - in abundance!

0 comments: